St. John’s Hotel was built in 1900 and located at the intersection of Second and Vermillion streets in downtown Hastings. The first owner was John Kleis and was credited for presenting a very neat and substantial appearance. Joseph Millbauer was hired as clerk and bartender.
This photo was taken of the St. John’s Hotel around 1915. The man second from the right is John Doffing, the owner of the hotel at that time. His wife and daughter are probably the pair seated in front of Doffing. (photo contributed by Bob Olson).
In August of 1983 the St. John’s Hotel was razed. The building was owned then by H.D. Hudson Co. next door and was proposed to be a parking lot. The Hastings City Council approved abatement proceedings, which would have required the owner to either demolish the building or repair it. Demolition was chosen. According to Al Sieben the contractor in charge of demolition, “It took about 12 hours to get it down to the ground. Just a history lesson now.”