Leaders of the Loyal in 1963

The Hastings Gazette, February 21, 1963

Hardworking cheerleaders, who lead the loyal Raider followers in giving inspiring cheers in support of the high school basketball squad for the 1962-1963 season, are, from left: Cheerleader captain Mary Catura, Betty Strehlow, Kathleen Arends, Ann Olson, Sharon Kranz and Kathy Gegen.

School Baseball Team has Professional Prospects in 1967

 

The Hastings Star Gazette, April 1, 1982

Three sets of brothers were among the baseball players who participated during Hastings state tournament years. Pictured from left to right are Mike Hartung, Mitch Hartung, Pete Majeski, Mike Majeski, Dan Carey and Dave Carey.

The year was 1966. The coach was Gil Rynda. The team was well-rounded with a record of 23-1 for the season and had the prospects for professional baseball legends. Despite the overall talent that was touted in sports articles of the time, the team lost in a close game between Bloomington Kennedy, 2-0 in the state tournament that year.

The individual talent of two or three players was emphasized even more. Mike Hartung and Dan Carey were named to the all-tournament baseball team in 1967. Dave later played for the University of Minnestoa and went on to play professional baseball in the minor leagues as well as a short stint on the Expos big league roster. Dan signed with the New York Mets after high school. He assured that playing for a living in the minor leagues was more pressure and less fun than competing for a state title.

Crazy Days 1963

August 8, 1963

McNamara’s Band was judged the best-costumed group during the Crazy Day promotion in Hastings last Friday. The women, from the Mode O’ Day store were Mrs. Clayt McNamara, Mrs. Francis McCoy, Mrs. Don McHale, and Miss Alice Neilson. The price for the best individual costume went to Lee Anderson of Hastings Paint and Wallpaper, dressed as one of the “Men from Moore’s”. Other prize winners were: best boy’s costume Gary Hughes whose own mother didn’t recognize him in a dress and wig; and best girl’s costume shared by sisters Rebecca and Suzette Rotty. The girls came to town as a sailor and a sea bag. Each individual or group receives from the Greater Hastings Association a $5 merchandise certificate good at any GHA-member store.

Mr. and Mrs. John Hurly struck a happy pose in apparent oblivious of the fact that something was definitely missing. Mrs. Hurley is believed to have been the only woman in Hastings who smoked a cigar, publicly at least on Friday.

Flinestones characters were impersonated on Cracy Day by Mr. and Mrs. Don Rehkamp and son David. The costumes were fashioned by Mrs. Rehkamp herself, who confessed that most of her time was spent lining the gunny-sack garments so they could endure them for an entire day.

A variety of costumes greeted shoppers at many places on the Crazy Day. Above, from left, Chuch Busch, Dick Bye and Bob Niederkorn.

These Boys Made History Winning All Games in 1937

January 14, 1938

All due honor will be accorded the Hastings High School football team champions of the Mississippi Valley League the past season, at a big banquet and program to be staged at the Memorial Auditorium at the high school. Preparations now complete include a banquet followed by a speaker’s program and the showing of movies of the Big Ten football games played by Minnesota. Parents and friends of the squad may also attend the event by purchasing tickets in advance. A. R. Graf is Blue and Gold coach, who whipped the team into championship calibre and carried them through a heavy schedule to be crowned Mississippi Valley all conference champions. Lin H. Hildebrand is the Assistant coach, responsible for much of the drill work and coaching fundamentals that helped the team to greater laurels.

A Visit With St. Nick, 1962

Hastings Gazette, December 20, 1962

Arriving at the Hastings Armory last Saturday afternoon for his annual visit with the youngsters and distribution of treats for all, Santa strikes up a conversation outside the entrance with little Tommy Elllis, front row center, four-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Don Elllis. Tommy just waved his hand in reply, saving his conversation for later when he got to sit on Santa’s knee.

Long line of waiting youngsters with parents streamed into the Armory while the older children attended a movie at the Riveriera Theatre. The day’s program was sponsored by the Hastings Jaycees.

City Awaiting Good News from Santa in 1929

December 6, 1929

Hastings youngsters- and some of their elders- who have been anticipating another radiogram from Santa Claus this week are doomed to disappointment for no  message has been received, as yet, from the Santa Claus Express that left Nome, Alaska last week on the first leg of the long journey to Hastings.

“No news is good news,” however, and there is no reason to believe that anything serious has happened to St. Nick and his reindeer chargers. They may have been stalled, temporarily, by Arctic Blizards, but they should be at Point Barrow by this time and a message will undoubtedly be received within a few days, informing Santa’s friends here that he has passed the most dangerous stages of the trip successfully.

Bridges of Hastings

This is an  aerial view of the famous Spiral Bridge that was built in 1895 and torn down in 1951 after the new bridge was constructed. The Spiral Bridge played a major role in the early history of the Hastings community.

Hastings was a growing river town in the latter part of the 19th century. A rope ferry was used to get from one side of the river to the other side, but because of the increasing population of the community, an improvement in transportation was definitely needed. The bridge saved Hastings. If it hadn’t been for the bridge, Hastings would not have developed and development would have happened on the other side of the river.

The Spiral Bridge was originally designed to carry a load limit of 10 tons, through the years the bridge’s load limit was gradually lowered to six tons, and finally four tons. As the invention of the automobile brought increased wear to the bridge, a bridge designed for horse and buggy travel, the bridge’s demise was foretold.

The bridge was demolished in 1951. The two ends were disconnected from the middle span. Those ends fell into the river and a derrick was used to lift the pieces out.