August 8, 1963
McNamara’s Band was judged the best-costumed group during the Crazy Day promotion in Hastings last Friday. The women, from the Mode O’ Day store were Mrs. Clayt McNamara, Mrs. Francis McCoy, Mrs. Don McHale, and Miss Alice Neilson. The price for the best individual costume went to Lee Anderson of Hastings Paint and Wallpaper, dressed as one of the “Men from Moore’s”. Other prize winners were: best boy’s costume Gary Hughes whose own mother didn’t recognize him in a dress and wig; and best girl’s costume shared by sisters Rebecca and Suzette Rotty. The girls came to town as a sailor and a sea bag. Each individual or group receives from the Greater Hastings Association a $5 merchandise certificate good at any GHA-member store.
Mr. and Mrs. John Hurly struck a happy pose in apparent oblivious of the fact that something was definitely missing. Mrs. Hurley is believed to have been the only woman in Hastings who smoked a cigar, publicly at least on Friday.
Flinestones characters were impersonated on Cracy Day by Mr. and Mrs. Don Rehkamp and son David. The costumes were fashioned by Mrs. Rehkamp herself, who confessed that most of her time was spent lining the gunny-sack garments so they could endure them for an entire day.
A variety of costumes greeted shoppers at many places on the Crazy Day. Above, from left, Chuch Busch, Dick Bye and Bob Niederkorn.
January 14, 1938
All due honor will be accorded the Hastings High School football team champions of the Mississippi Valley League the past season, at a big banquet and program to be staged at the Memorial Auditorium at the high school. Preparations now complete include a banquet followed by a speaker’s program and the showing of movies of the Big Ten football games played by Minnesota. Parents and friends of the squad may also attend the event by purchasing tickets in advance. A. R. Graf is Blue and Gold coach, who whipped the team into championship calibre and carried them through a heavy schedule to be crowned Mississippi Valley all conference champions. Lin H. Hildebrand is the Assistant coach, responsible for much of the drill work and coaching fundamentals that helped the team to greater laurels.
Hastings Gazette, December 20, 1962
Arriving at the Hastings Armory last Saturday afternoon for his annual visit with the youngsters and distribution of treats for all, Santa strikes up a conversation outside the entrance with little Tommy Elllis, front row center, four-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Don Elllis. Tommy just waved his hand in reply, saving his conversation for later when he got to sit on Santa’s knee.
Long line of waiting youngsters with parents streamed into the Armory while the older children attended a movie at the Riveriera Theatre. The day’s program was sponsored by the Hastings Jaycees.
December 6, 1929
Hastings youngsters- and some of their elders- who have been anticipating another radiogram from Santa Claus this week are doomed to disappointment for no message has been received, as yet, from the Santa Claus Express that left Nome, Alaska last week on the first leg of the long journey to Hastings.
“No news is good news,” however, and there is no reason to believe that anything serious has happened to St. Nick and his reindeer chargers. They may have been stalled, temporarily, by Arctic Blizards, but they should be at Point Barrow by this time and a message will undoubtedly be received within a few days, informing Santa’s friends here that he has passed the most dangerous stages of the trip successfully.
This is a photo of the members of the 1931 Hastings High School football team: Lloyd Polifka is in the center holding the football.
This is an aerial view of the famous Spiral Bridge that was built in 1895 and torn down in 1951 after the new bridge was constructed. The Spiral Bridge played a major role in the early history of the Hastings community.
Hastings was a growing river town in the latter part of the 19th century. A rope ferry was used to get from one side of the river to the other side, but because of the increasing population of the community, an improvement in transportation was definitely needed. The bridge saved Hastings. If it hadn’t been for the bridge, Hastings would not have developed and development would have happened on the other side of the river.
The Spiral Bridge was originally designed to carry a load limit of 10 tons, through the years the bridge’s load limit was gradually lowered to six tons, and finally four tons. As the invention of the automobile brought increased wear to the bridge, a bridge designed for horse and buggy travel, the bridge’s demise was foretold.
The bridge was demolished in 1951. The two ends were disconnected from the middle span. Those ends fell into the river and a derrick was used to lift the pieces out.
Pictured is a 1915 chemistry class in Hastings. Students pictured from left to right are: Edwin Hiniker, Helen Liddle, Joseph McGlennon, Floyd Chamberlain, Edwin Welch, Charles Freeman, John Kleis, Clayton Nesbitt, Matilda Kranz, and Avis Gage (seated). Photo courtesy of the L. L. Sloniger collection.
December 29, 1929
The village of New Trier, 12 miles southeast of Hastings, was virtually wiped out Tuesday morning by disastrous conflagration that started, presumably in the H. J. Frandrup dance hall and spread, with incredible rapidity, to three adjoining structures, all of which were burned to the ground despite the heroic efforts of volunteer fire-firefighters to check the raging flames.
The four buildings, which were devoured by the flames, comprised the main business section of New Trier, a village of approximately 100 inhabitants. The Frandrup dance hall and soft drink parlor, the C. E. Peine general store and post office, the residence of Mrs. Susan Lisenfelser, and the residence of the J. M. Ficker family were the structures razed by the flames.
September 13, 1929
A poultry business, started in a small way last spring by Otto Reissner, Jr., of this city, is blossoming into an enterprise that seems to bring its owner some very neat returns.
Otto purchased a few purebred White Leghorns, rented an acre of ground form C. P. Jurisch, between West Fifth and Sixth streets, and started his poultry ranch. The business thrived from the beginning and the young poultry enthusiast now has a flock of six hundred choice White Leghorns that till bring him a fancy price on the Twin City market any time he cares to dispose of them.
He feeds his flock milk and Gold Medal feed three times a day and finds that his liberal diet pays big returns in the size and quality of his feathered money-makers.
If the enterprise continues to prosper, as it has during its first season, the owner will probably make arrangements to engage in the business on a larger and more profitable scale next year.